melissaamy

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Study? We don't need to stinkin' study..

And I am really pretending to study at this point...

I can't focus on forensic psych anymore....I stopped focusing on it weeks ago...I know I am getting an A, I do that, it is what I do...I will at least scan the half semesters notes I condensed a few weeks ago before presenting started....yeah right, I will scan them at 10:45 as I am waiting for my test to be handed to me....

As for what I am really doing, watching Deadliest Catch (which I became addicted to a few weeks ago when they ran the first few shows back to back).

I had a very good friend almost die in a fishing boat accident in Alaska. It is one of the most famous ones, leading to 9 men dying, sadly. Dale was the only one from his shift to survive because he was lucky enough that when the boat listed he was thrown into the hallway out the rooms door. After it went back the other way, all the rest of the crew was trapped due to oevr stocking the ship with boxes in the hallway.Everytime I think of Dale telling me that story, it makes me cry.He had a picture of the boat, the Aleutian Enterprise, on the wall of our apartment.

I asked him about it. He never told anyone the story before me.

He took out a picture album of clippings and photos and told me the story. It was the first time I ever saw a man cry.He was the only crew member to never sue as well. He took his settlement and used it, but would always invest the money, make his profit, then return the moeny to the acct. To him it was blood money.He almost froze to death in the water wearing a rusted zipepr survival suit. Apparently they changed regulations because of it.

I recently began speaking to a psychologist who specializes in malingering. he did a case study on the AE and how all of the survivors, except for one, claim PTSD. The one was Dale. He asked me to read his studies. He wrote a few well known trade articles about it. I am honored to read them, however, even though I was no where near knowing Dale when it happened, his tale of it haunts me. He and I never speak of it, nor the anniversary.

I talk to Dale about once a year or so and I love him to pieces, he really was there for me in so many ways. he taught me how to live when I was an 18 year old learning how to make my own way in the world.

Maybe this summer I will read the articles and give my feedback. Maybe ask my forensic psych to read them as well, she is very interested in malingering.

One of these days I have to write about Dale....he and I almost moved to Kuai, Hawaii together.

No he was never my boyfriend, just a brother to me and he wanted to teach me ways to make my way in the world while helping others....

I need to remember his lessons more often then I do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home